Monday, October 12, 2009

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent


She doesn't see dead people, but…
She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.
Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next…
------------
My Soul to Take was a great read. It was the type of book I just couldn't put down; I wanted, no, needed to continue reading because I was so engrossed in the story.

It was very original. I'd never read, come across, or even heard of a story similar to this one. The concept of "bean sidhes" was one that I was unfamiliar with. But I was very interested in learning about these wailing, banshee creatures.

The storyline was filled with action and mystery. It was thrilling to be there when Kaylee slowly discovers who she really is. I wish I could tell you more about that but I don't want to spoil anything for you.

Kaylee was a very well-fleshed-out character. Vincent vividly describes her every thought, emotion, and feeling. You get to know her so well you feel like you've known her forever.

There are also romantic elements interwoven into the story. Kaylee's love interests do not overwhelm the story so if the romance aspect doesn't appeal to you, you needn't worry. It's definitely a nice part of the subplot but it's not a major part of the big picture. I, however, enjoyed reading about how Kaylee's predicament brought her closer to someone who knew what she was going through. Again, I wish I could tell you more about that person but I want to avoid spoilers at all costs.

Overall, I thoroughly liked My Soul to Take. Fans of paranormal lit will devour it. I do recommend it. Also, you can read the prequel, My Soul to Lose, for free here. The sequel, My Soul to Save, will be released on December 29, 2009.

4.5 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. So, My Soul To Take is about banshees? I did not know that, I just assumed it was about vampires LOL, I may have to reconsider reading this. :-)

    Awesome review :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I'm so glad you liked it!

    Out of curiosity, April, do you mind if I ask what made you think it was a vampire book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved this book! :D can't wait for the next one :D great review!

    ReplyDelete