Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Cinderella Society by Kay Cassidy

I picked up The Cinderella Society from my local library because I liked the cover and the info on the inside flap sounded cute and interesting. However, cute and interesting doesn't quite cover everything that TCS was. It had a serious side as well.

TCS follows Jess Parker as she gets initiated into a secret society whose mission is to balance out forces of evil. There are makeovers, wardrobe overhauls, and boy dilemmas involved. Teen readers will have no trouble relating to bullying and needing backup in order to rise above peer pressure. I liked that Jess starts out as an underdog and slowly realizes her potential to shine. This reminds us that regular people ("reggies") have the power to make a difference. Kay Cassidy makes that message loud and clear without sounding too preachy.

Jess was a very real character. She was smart, funny, and full of insecurities.

Overall, TCS was super readable and a lovely debut for Kay Cassidy. It was such a great girl power read. I'm already pining for the continuation!

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this one too! Thought it had a good message. Can't wait to read more of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book(:

    ReplyDelete