Saturday, February 21, 2009

Wherever Nina Lies by Lynn Weingarten

Synopsis from barnesandnoble.com:

Nina was beautiful, artistic, wild . . . and adored by her younger sister, Ellie. But one day, without any warning, Nina disappeared.

Two years later, Ellie can't stop thinking about her sister. Although everyone else has given up hope that Nina will return, Elile just knows her sister is out there, somewhere. If only Ellie had a clue where to look.

And then she gets one, in the form of a mysterious drawing tucked into the pages of a book. Determined to find her sister, Ellie takes off on a crazy, sexy, cross-country road trip with the only person who believes she's got a chance -- her hot, adventurous new crush.

Along the way, Ellie finds a few things she wasn't planning on. Like love. Mysteries. Lies. And something far ore shocking -- the truth.

This book really surprised me. I had a little trouble getting into it at first but things picked up pretty quickly. I read the first 3/4 of it and I'm thinking "okay, this is a cute story" but then once I got to the last fourth of it the whole mood changed completely. I'm not really sure if I liked how it went from fun and lighthearted to dark and sinister in such a short amount of time. I thought the ending was shocking and unexpected. I definitely didn't see it coming. There was more than one laugh out loud moment. I can see myself rereading this in the future. I recommend this novel if you like road trip stories, siblings finding each other, or general chick lit.

4 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, I don't know how I would feel if it went from light and fluffy to dark and sinister - I suppose if the story built up to that part, I could see it being enjoyable!

    The cover is a little eerie - I hope that doesn't mean Nina was possibly kidnapped?

    cecilia

    ReplyDelete