Saturday, January 17, 2009

Handcuffs by Bethany Griffin

Parker Prescott is an ice queen. She'd rather be viewed as icy than just shy since shyness implies weakness but iciness is voluntary.
She has the typical teenage problems - her parents don't get her, her sister is their golden girl, her brother is a miracle child, and her best friend is so much cooler than she is. Not to mention her gorgeous ex-boyfriend she still has feelings for. Her family is having financial problems and may even be forced to move. Parker takes it upon herself to prevent them from uprooting her from her life. Can she solve all her problems by herself or will she just make everything worse?

I liked this book. The first half gives so much background information that you feel as if you've known these characters for years. Although, I thought the way the background stories were presented was a little confusing. I was really curious about what the role of handcuffs was going to be and I wasn't let down. This book sort of reminded me of Just Listen by Sarah Dessen because of the main character's trouble communicating with others and the messed up older sister. It touched on a lot of issues such as stalking, sex, and bullying. The writing was was very good and the ending was tied things up nicely. You might like this book if you liked Sarah Dessen's Just Listen. I recommend this book for readers above the age of 13.

4 out of 5 stars

I won this book from Free Book Friday Teens! Go there and enter their weekly contest NOW!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I have been wanting to read this book for a while now! I'm so glad you reviewed it (the first review I read of this book). And yaay similar to Sarah Dessen is good. ;)

    ReplyDelete