Tuesday, January 6, 2009

How To Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier

In New Avalon, everyone has a personal fairy. Charlie's gets her the best parking spots. She's fourteen years old and can't drive so this kind of fairy is pretty much worthless to her. She is constantly being borrowed by family members and kidnapped by the school bully so her fairy can work its magic for them. In order to trade her parking fairy in for one that might actually do her some good, she comes up with a plan. She teams up with her enemy Fiorenze, who has an all-the-boys-like-you fairy. But when they actually switch fairies, Charlie finds out that having all the boys like you isn't as great as you would think. Fiorenze isn't enjoying her new fairy either. The girls must resort to extraordinary measures to set things right again.

I'm on the fence about this book. The story was funny and overall enjoyable but I was annoyed with the main character, Charlie. I thought she was basically just selfish. It annoyed me how she had no time for her family, friends, or schoolwork because she was trying to get rid of her fairy all the time. I mean, I wish I had a parking fairy! I really liked the setting, though. The way their city and schools worked was different, but in a good way. How To Ditch Your Fairy was a good read but nothing spectacular. I recommend it, but maybe not at the very top of your To Be Read pile.

3 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. This looks really cute! I'll definitly put it on my list :]

    Btw Do you want to do a link exchange?

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try and find this one. Sounds sweet :)

    http://lookatthatbook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete