Monday, August 10, 2009

Donut Days by Lara Zielin

Emma has a lot going on. Her best friend’s not speaking to her, a boy she’s known all her life is suddenly smokin’ hot and in love with her, and oh yes, her evangelical minister parents may lose their church, especially if her mother keeps giving sermons saying Adam was a hermaphrodite.

But this weekend Emma’s only focused on Crispy Dream, a hot new donut franchise opening in town, where Harley bikers and Frodo wannabes camp out waiting to be the first ones served. Writing the best feature story on the camp for the local paper might just win Emma a scholarship to attend a non- Christian college. But soon enough Emma finds the donut camp isn’t quite the perfect escape from all her troubles at Living Word Redeemer.

------------------------

When I first read the summary and then began reading the book itself, I wasn't really crazy about the premise. It was very original but for some reason I just tend to shy away from books that have anything to do with religion. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against religion. I just don't find it as fun to read about as other topics.

Besides that, I found Donut Days to be a funny, accessible story. The author's messages outshine the religious context and could still be applied to everyday life outside the church. In other words, even if you're not an evangelical Christian or religious at all you could still relate the the characters and enjoy reading the story.

I thought it was a well-written novel and a fantastic debut for Lara Zielin. I look forward to reading more from her in the future.

3.5 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Crispy Dream? xD

    This sounds like an interesting read! The cover is really cute. I usually don't mind religious books as long as I don't feel like someone is preaching at me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this now! I have so many books that I have to finish first though before I dare to start another.. I am a sucker for book covers and I have a sweet tooth so this book sounds perfect for me. haha

    I found your blog browsing and I have been finding more and more great books dedicated to people who love to read. I am an aspiring novelist myself and am trying to expand my blog followers. I am hoping once I am able to do that I might be able to get interviews with authors I like and help promote them. If you're interested in helping me out, please follow me as I will follow you and I hope to read more updates! Thank you so much, Aleece!

    ReplyDelete