Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I Know It's Over by C.K. Kelly Martin

Pure. Unplanned. Perfect. Those were Nick’s summer plans before Sasha stepped into the picture. With the collateral damage from his parents’ divorce still settling and Dani (his girl of the moment) up for nearly anything, complications are the last thing he needs. All that changes, though, when Nick runs into Sasha at the beach in July. Suddenly he’s neck-deep in a relationship and surprised to find he doesn’t mind in the least. But Nick’s world shifts again when Sasha breaks up with him. Then weeks later, while Nick’s still reeling from the breakup, she turns up at his doorstep and tells him she’s pregnant, and Nick finds himself struggling once more to understand the girl he can’t stop caring for, the girl who insists that it’s still over.
---------------------
This novel was beautifully written. It was one of those books you simply can't bare to put down.

I liked that it was written from Nick's point of view. It was interesting to see how a guy would deal with his (ex)girlfriend getting pregnant. Being a girl myself, it was just nice to see that he was as torn up about it as I know a girl in this kind of situation would be.

Dani's character was especially interesting to me because she served the purpose of showing that Nick really was in love with Sasha - he wasn't just in it for the sexual stuff because he could've gotten that from Dani.

I thought it was interesting that Sasha's pregnancy drove them apart instead of making them closer since neither one was over the other yet. Unless you've been in a similar situation or know someone who has, you'll probably find it hard to relate to. I know that most teens my age don't even want to think about something like this happening to them.

The reality, though, is that things like this happen every day. I think teens should read more books like this, if not for enjoyment than to further convince them to be careful and safe if they choose not to abstain from sex. I know that I'll think twice about becoming sexually active because I certainly do not want to have to make the tough decisions that Sasha did. No teenager should have to.

I believe that this novel will appeal to both genders. It was an amazing debut from C.K Kelly Martin and I look forward to reading lots and lots more from her in the future!

5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment