Thursday, April 23, 2009

Violet on the Runway by Melissa Walker

A wallflower in the spotlight can do one of two things: wilt, or blossom...

Violet Greenfield's life changes forever when a lady in giant Chanel shades tells her she could be IT, the next Kate Moss-but taller, and without the PR problems. That's how Violet winds up with a business card in the front pocket of her jeans on her first day as a senior in high school. Angela Blythe from Tryst Models in New York City wants to put Violet on a plane and whisk her into the world of high-heeled boots and oversized sunglasses. Tall, skinny Violet, who's been P-L-A-I-N practically forever.

And guess what? She's going.

When I first got this book, I was 99% sure I wasn't going to like it. I thought "Oh man, a book about a model? Ugh.." I was sure that it was going to be mindless and boring. But I'm happy to report that none of my initial reactions were correct.

Violet was especially fun to read about because she was so normal. She was insecure and sarcastic. Every teenage girl out there can relate to worrying about fitting in and having body image issues.

Melissa Walker gives detailed descriptions that really pull the reader into the story. Her writing style paints vivid pictures for the reader. She didn't make modeling seem like it was all rainbows and smiles - she really laid the truth out there and showed you the real deal.

In the beginning, I remember thinking "hmm..so she's going to be a model, huh." It was interesting to watch Violet's career take off. The story was even more transfixing to me, however, when Violet began to get involved in some hardcore partying and drinking. Veronica, her fellow model/roommate, was definitely a bad influence and encouraged Violet's dangerous behavior.

On the whole, all the characters were very real. It was great to see a shy, self-conscious character like Violet turn into someone who is confident and outgoing. My favorites (beside Violet) were the less-glamorous, caring ones - Roger and Julie. I'm hoping a relationship between Violet and Roger will have a place in the sequel. When Violet started semi-dating (if you can even call it that) Peter I remember thinking "Ahh! What is she doing with that scumbag?!" So, I am SO on Team Roger in this case.

Violet on the Runway was a very memorable novel. It had a great message about body image. I'm going to run out and get the sequel this weekend because I simply cannot wait to find out what happens next! I'm very pleased that it far exceeded my (low) expectations. Kudos to Melissa Walker for writing a novel that even non-drama/model/glamour-loving readers can enjoy!

5 out of 5 stars

Recommended if you:
-are interested in the world of modeling
-like reading about insecure girls who become stronger & more confident

3 comments: