Saturday, September 5, 2009

Author Guest Blog: Megan Crewe

Five great books I read because of school

Time for school! Sure, that means less free time and more work, but it also means a chance to discover some awesome books. While I didn't love every book I read for school, my teachers introduced me to a whole lot of excellent ones. Here are five of my faves (in chronological order):

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl -- This isn't actually my favorite Dahl book (that would be The Witches, followed closely by Danny the Champion of the World and The BFG), but I have to give props to my third grade teacher for reading this book to my class and introducing us to this amazing author.

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt -- Both beautiful writing and an intense and moving story, this is one of my favorite books of all time. And who knows if I'd have found it if it wasn't on the grade six reading list?

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee -- A slice of history, a totally authentic voice, and powerful themes of prejudice and judgement. Love it just as much now as when we studied it in high school!

Lord of the Flies by William Golding -- I can still remember the heated classroom debates about the meaning of various symbols and character motivations in this book. Creepy and disturbing but oh so believable.

The Wars by Timothy Findlay -- Reading this book in senior year was, I think, the first time I felt I understood what it was like being in a war. Brutal and vivid and heart-wrenching. I actually studied it twice (in university as well) and never got tired of it.

2 comments:

  1. To Kill A Mockingbird was definately an amazing book! We read it in class last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that any books I HAD to read for school really struck me. There was one about a native girl on an island, but I don't remember what it was called; it was a really good book but nothing that's stuck with me.

    That said, some of my teachers introduced me to great books outside of class time, like The City Of Ember and later the People of Sparks. It's just none of the stuff I ever read IN CLASS struck me.

    ~Dianna

    ReplyDelete